Monday, April 23, 2007

Nerd Alert!

One of my hobbies is playing the card game Magic: The Gathering. I am a relative newcomer to this game and I only started playing about two years ago (during the "Kamigawa Block" for the other magic players out there). I do enjoy playing, I think it's a fun game.

One of the manufacturer Wizards of the Coast's tricks is that they constantly print new magic "sets" of cards, and "rotate out" old sets. The sets older than about two years are no longer legal for so-called standard play. Old cards can be played in other types of tournaments ("Legacy", "Extended", etc.) and in casual play. This is one of the ways that they keep interest in the game alive, or for the more pessimistic of you out there, how they keep us addicted.




A magic player may try to buy cards and build interesting decks to play against others. This is called "constructed". Another option are tournaments where you must buy unopened packs of cards and make decks from this limited pool and play against others doing the same. This is called "limited".

Recently I changed from attempting to be a good constructed player, which I don't have the skill, patience, or money for, and change to pretty much a limited-only player. This makes the game a lot cheaper to play since I can only play limited tourneys maybe once a month at about $20 bucks a pop.

Yesterday, Dream Wizards, DC's local crack dealer, ahem, card store, held a pre-release tournament for the latest and greatest magic set that's coming out. I went and played, had a lot of fun, but didn't do too well...overall I went 3-7 in games and only won a paltry amount of prizes (2 packs, worth about $6). Maybe I just got unlucky....or maybe I just suck at magic.


No comments: